Established in 1885, Arts University Bournemouth (AUB) is a creative community where students and staff come together to innovate, collaborate and connect. It is a specialist institution where teaching and research is exclusively delivered through the disciplines of art, design, architecture, media and performance. The university provides an internationally orientated learning, teaching, research and knowledge transfer environment with students from over 60 countries undertaking our courses from Preparation through to Postgraduate level.
AUB and its creative community are committed to the mission of being the leading professional arts university dedicated to turning creativity into careers. A fundamental concept of the University is the practical application of knowledge, realised through the delivery of excellent teaching within a collaborative, creative community. Whichever course you decide to study, you’ll be part of a vibrant creative community in one of the country’s leading specialist Universities.
- AUB is the leading arts university for the creative industries.
- They relentlessly innovate, collaborate and connect in ways that turn creative talent into careers.
- University was recently awarded the Gold standard rating by the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
- AUB has just been voted the highest-ranked modern university in the South West by The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018.
Reasons to study at AUB:
- A campus like no other
The stunning, state-of-the-art campus is a creative hub with head-turning architecture and industry-standard equipment. You’ll be in a community of like-minded makers and thinkers.
Plus, you’re also surrounded by the New Forest, great beaches, and World Heritage Jurassic Coast. Bournemouth boasts a great nightlife and culture too and London is just two hours away.
- Turning creativity into careers
They’re a practical university with strong ambitions for our graduates to enjoy rewarding careers. AUB alumni constantly return with incredible stories of things they’ve done, business they’ve created and awards they’ve won.
- Collaboration on every corner
The best work happens when different disciplines come together. Everyone here is a creator, and you’ll have the chance to collaborate with them.
No creative subject stands alone at AUB. Cross fertilisation of ideas and techniques benefits everyone and it’s exactly how students will experience the real world.
The collaborations extend beyond courses that work together, to the wider university world and links with the industry.
- The home of making and thinking
AUB research activity makes the world – and your creative education – better. As well as practical skills, you’ll learn the theory too.
Arts University Bournemouth is a very friendly place and most teaching and support staff will know students personally.
MOST RECENT AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
• AUB was awarded Gold by the Teaching Excellence Framework for its excellent teaching quality (TEF 2017)
• AUB is the UK’s number one specialist university for employability (Times Higher Education 2018) and fifth across all UK universities (DLHE 2012-17)
• AUB is a Top 50 University, 43rd in national ranking, as well as the top arts institution for teaching quality, student experience and graduate prospects.(The Sunday Times University Guide 2019)
• AUB was named the Top Modern University in the South West region (The Sunday Times University Guide 2019)
• 1st place for career prospects for Art, Fashion and Textiles and for Film Production and Photography (The Guardian University Guide 2019)
• AUB was awarded Top 10 for both International Experience and University Facilities (WhatUni? 2019 Student Choice Awards)
• AUB was awarded the Queens Anniversary Prize for distinguished degree level education in costume design for the UK’s leading creative industries
• 98% of AUB graduates found employment or further studies within 6 months of graduating (DLHE 2017)
• The university is a gateway to the £92 billion creative industries, which is growing at a faster rate than the whole of the UK economy, accounting for 1 in 11 jobs
Britain is currently one of the first choice destinations for international students from all over the world and every year thousands of students choose to study in the friendly, safe and exciting environment of Bournemouth.
- Arts University Bournemouth is situated on the border of the adjoining towns of Bournemouth and Poole on the beautiful, lively south coast of England. The golden beaches are undoubtedly among the best in the country, making Poole and Bournemouth one of the most popular tourist destinations in the UK, attracting 4 million visitors each year. The beaches regularly win the ‘blue flag’ award for cleanliness; it follows that the air quality is excellent. The beautiful coastal environment, combined with the warmer than average climate, provides an all year round holiday atmosphere.
- Together with its beaches, Bournemouth has one of the most vibrant and cosmopolitan social scenes outside of London, making it one of the best student towns in the country. It has all the attractions and appeal of a large town without the disadvantages of big city life. There are a wide range of shops, cafes, bars, traditional English pubs, clubs, restaurants and hotels.
- London is less than two hours away and is easily reached by regular train and coach services or via good motorway links. Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam are also only a few hours away using scheduled services from Bournemouth and Southampton international airports. There are regular sea crossings to France and the rest of Europe from Poole and Southampton.Our campus has a real buzz about it. On route to the café you’re likely to pass a film crew, a woman in Elizabethan dress and a DJ. It’s a microcosm of the creative industries. Right down to having the best tools for the job.
All the courses take place on a single campus with modern buildings and attractive surroundings.
AUB and Bournemouth offer a range of student accommodation including modern, purpose built halls of residence and traditional style halls in the centre of Bournemouth, within walking distance of Bournemouth town centre and its famous beach. Students can also enjoy private rented accommodation throughout the Bournemouth and Poole area, many within a short walk of the AUB campus.
There are three types of accommodation available for students:
- Halls of Residence in Bournemouth town centre (from £120 – £158 per week, including bills).
- Privately rented self-catering accommodation – houses or flats shared with other students or with the landlord (average £96 per week, excluding bills such as water rates, electricity and gas)
- Living with a host family in a private home, often with breakfast and evening meal provided (average £115 per week, including bills)
Before leaving home you must be sure that you will have enough money to pay for any unpaid tuition fees and your monthly living expenses. AUB recommends that you should allow approximately £6500 to £8500 per year, depending on your accommodation choice and lifestyle.
You may be able to work during your studies to help towards your living costs. Some students may be entitled to a scholarship for all or part of their tuition fees or living costs.
Search and apply!